From its humble beginnings 120 years ago, Intermatic has remained on the cutting edge of innovation.
It is deeply rooted in the tradition of a family-owned business, following a distinct formula of honest, customer-first business that has helped it become a global leader in energy management solutions.
After over 100 year of incorporation, Intermatic is continually investing in state-of-the-art technology to improve the value of its products and its service to the customers.
1891 - 1917
1918 - 1940
1941 - 1956
1958 - 1988
1989 - 2000
2000 - Present
1891 – October 15, 1891 the company was incorporated as Pratt & Englund Company in Chicago, Illinois as a manufacturer of portable streetcar fare registers
1903 – Company name is changed to the International Register Company (IRC) with the purchase of the New Haven Car Register Company
1904 – Became leading fare register manufacturer in the United States
1917 – Company president Arthur Woodward invents wind vine sight for machine guns for combat in World War I
1930 – Began manufacturing Coin Meters. This was the company’s introduction to clock-actuated devices, which was the precursor to the world-renown world class timers.
1941 – Began manufacturing 20 mm shells, producing over 20 million during the course of the World War II, along with aircraft controls and other munitions items.
1945 – The first time switch the “Inter-Matic is introduced and rapidly accepted due to the high quality and low price. The “Inter-Matic” time switch was used to control electric signs, store window lighting, apartment hall lights, stokers, and oil and gas burners.
1952 – Brought its first consumer timer product, the Time-All, which controlled various household lights and devices. The Time-All is still manufactured today
1956 – Introduced the world-renowned T101 mechanical time switch that still remains a vital component in the mechanical time switch industry.
1958 – Introduced Pool and Spa Controls line to the industrial market. The Pool and Spa Control line remains a valuable product line today.
1961 – The Spring Grove office opens. This is the current location of Intermatic's corporate headquarters.
1969 – Company reaches $15 million in sales.
1972 – International Registry Company is officially renamed Intermatic Incorporated.
1989 – Intermatic opens a new distribution center in Richmond, Illinois
– The company reaches almost $100 million in sales, and acquires two new lines, industrial surge, and professional landscape lighting products.
2007 – Intermatic acquires Grasslin acquired Controls Corp (GC), a world-class manufacturer of timer switches and control units, from General Electric Co.
2011 – Intermatic launches a new line of energy saving web-based controls with the ET90000 Series. Intermatic also begins offering a wider variety of energy saving products including Occupancy/Vacancy Sensors, and LED lighting.